Monday, August 5, 2013

Writing a Spin Off

For those who follow my blog or know about The Do Over,  you know that I'm working on the spin off, It's Not Over.  I've been told that writing a second book is easier than the first.  As an author, I'm not experienced.  I've learned tricks and have confidence in my ability to tell a good story.  This should be a piece of cake.  I've also heard that it's harder.  And considering that it's taken me a week to write chapter 10, I subscribe to the "it's harder" argument.

It's Not Over,  while a spin off of The Do Over is NOTHING like The Do Over.  The pacing is different, the story line is different, and well the humor is different as well.  For all intents and purposes, it's a completely different book.  

If you haven't read The Do Over,  do not read any further...

I have a huge challenge.  I'm writing a story about the two most "hated" characters in The Do Over, but let's be honest, they were the two most fascinating ones as well.  (at least in my evil, sadistic mind they were).  Yet again, they were not well liked.  Imagine the challenge in writing a story where you take the villains and show a side of them that may or may not appeal to the readers.  Will the haters of Team MaRi learn to love them, understand them, simply tolerate them or continue hating them?  Good questions.  

I've been working on chapter 10 for about a week now.  At this pace, my son will graduate from high school before I finish.  He'll be starting first grade in a couple weeks -- that's just to give you a frame of reference.  I decided to take it in another direction because well...I was getting bored.  No, I really wasn't, but I worried that you would.  Ah, another pitfall of writing book 2, you worry about what the reader will think.  So I had to forget about you (sorry, nothing personal), and just tell their story.

Jennifer, my assistant in real life, listens to me daily on my story line ideas. She also helps me work through things.  Trust me, she wants me to finish with chapter 10 already -- she's frustrated with me.  Wants me to MOVE on. Let's go.  Come on.  Write more than one paragraph tonight. FINISH THE CHAPTER ALREADY!  So tonight, she sent me a text with a song that I think is just what we needed.  

Chapter 10 is a very critical chapter. 




I'm of to FINISH chapter 10.  

Happy reading...

~Ana

No comments: